- Defects: This is anything not done correctly the first time resulting in rework. This wastes time in having to make the repairs and materials needed to correct the work.
- Production waste: tasks are completed ahead of schedule or in excess of requirements, resulting in downtime or waste of materials
- Time waste: wasted time where workers are stuck waiting for materials to be delivered or for preceding work to be completed. This disrupts the workflow and results in workers waiting for work.
- Talent waste: knowledge goes to waste because a particular person is overqualified
- Transportation waste: construction materials or equipment is transported too early, or project information is shared unnecessarily, resulting in wasted effort
- Inventory waste: construction materials that aren’t immediately needed end up clogging a site or pipeline
- Movement waste: This is unnecessary movement that can be eliminated, such as having to make multiple trips across the jobsite to get more tools or materials.
- Process waste: steps added to the project that aren’t adding value for the client